Pages

Friday 16 November 2012

Persepolis


I've just watched Persepolis, a film about the modern history of Iran through the eyes of a girl. I really enjoyed it's warmth, humour and tragedy.

Watch it if you haven't already. I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

I think that it is an inspiring film about female solidarity and the importance of family life in the face of adversity. I loved Marjane's grandmother.  If only we all had someone like that in our lives to tell us how it is.  Persepolis gives us a glimpse of what it must be like growing up in a country ravaged by war and atrocity.

Many women grow up in fear of war, violence, abuse, and internalise the trauma that we have experienced. What this film does beautifully is show us that our similarities are greater than our differences, whether they be cultural or religious. Womankind knows no national boundaries.  Under the veil there is a woman that we can reach out to and understand.

Maybe we should have a page on here about great feminist films. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment